Fun Fats Episode #1 - KaiJu @ Bangsar

Welcome to the very first episode of #FunFats! ( Yes, it is a homonym for Fun Facts, ain't I funny?)
As a person who has an undying passion for food, I sure take what I put in my mouth very seriously. If you take a look at my monthly spendings you will be surprised that I spend about 80% of my money on food and only about 20% on shopping. Priorities, right? So from here on, I will be introducing you guys some of my favorite restaurants, new food trends or even some of the recipes I use!
 
It's gonne be you, me and fats.
 
Disclaimer : I am naturally biased towards Japanese food. Very, very biased.
 
 
So for the last weekend, I paid a visit to Kaiju Company @APW Bangsar which is a japanese and thai fusion restaurant. I found out about Kaiju via some random people on Instagram Explore when I was just stalking people (guilty). The presentation looked impeccable and I loved the interior design of the place so I decided to check it out to see if it is worth the hype.
 
I have never been to this part of Bangsar before so it completely took me by surprise when I realized APW houses a few other very well-known cafes like The Breakfast Thieves and PULP as well. I was instantly amazed because the landscape was definitely Insta-worthy and for a second I thought I was in Aussie! There were trees everywhere and I loved the rustic wooden interior designs of the cafes. The infamous flight of cement stairs you probably spotted on Instagram is also here but I am sure you won't miss it because there was constantly a queue to take OOTDs!
 


 
 
After about 10 minutes of exploring the entire compound, I finally found Kaiju at a quiet corner. Full framed glass windows with a rustic wooden frame give a really cozy and minimalist vibe which reminds me alot about Japanese food. But I must admit that it is very much smaller than my expectations because there were only about 10 tables and a "sushi" bar. So be prepared to wait up because apparently there is always a line.  
 
Our first dish was Bara Bara Chirashi (RM30) which is a Kaiju style mixed sashimi rice bowl. I give it a 10/10 for physical appearance. 1. Sashimi was visible so that means it was generously cut. 2. LOTUS ROOT CHIPS. Those are my favorite thing on earth! They do not add much flavor to the dish but i just love a little crunch in my mixed rice. Flavor wise, I would say that the rice wasn't well seasoned so it was quite bland. It also came with a small bowl of spicy miso soup which hardly left any impression because it was too bland as well. For the same amount of money, I can probably make 2 huge bowls of Poke Bowl with lots of avocado so I would not recommend this.


Our second dish was more exciting for sure. Tom Yum Udon (RM28) seems to be their signature dish since everyone in the restaurant was slurping on a bowl of this. I had really high expectations because it looked soo good especially with that runny egg yolk. It was a very creamy and spicy broth so do avoid if you prefer your tomyum clear. The prawns and squid were fresh nonetheless with some springy fish noodles which you will probably mistake as udon. Basically, this is your average bowl of tom yum soup with a little twist of udon. Do not try this if you are a believer of authentic thai food cause this isn't what you are looking for.
 

 
Last dish was this Haiwaian Kaiju Rice ( RM26) that looked rather unappealing compared to the 2 dishes earlier. Instead of your average Chicken karaage curry, they switched it up with a chicken patty. The flavor is good but I find the combination between a patty and rice a little strange. Also, slightly overpriced for the small amount of meat used.
 
Overall, It was a decent experience but it is on the pricier end for such small amount of portion. But I am definitely excited for what they will be coming up with because Thai X Japanese are both my favorite food! I really appreciate their great customer service and great sunlight for photography purpose thought. :P
 
 Till next entree,
Cecilia
 
 
Kaiju Company
29, Jalan Riong Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
03-27883796 ( they do not accept reservations though!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Blackhead Journey

3 Looks for June.

My Current Night Time Skincare Routine